KonoKona: Helping Local Artists by simplifying the process of getting a table at Artist Alley
Platform: Website & App
What: Customer Facing Website, CRM
My Role: UX/UI + Branding + Content Strategy
This is my Graduation Project for Emily Carr University of Art + Design
Have you ever been to a farmer’s market, craft market or anime convention and wondered how the farmers and artist’s got there? It actually an incredibly inefficient and painful process for both the artists and the organizers
Getting a table to sell at an anime convention is inefficient and stressful because of a communication gap between the artists and organizers.
Create a website platform that simplifies the application process for users
Help organizers sort and manage through 600+ application at once
Problem: Visiting 20+ websites to apply for 20 tables
Solution: Putting all the conventions on one site
Artists have to visit 20+ different convention website just to apply for tables. Keep in mind they would also have to dig through the page to find what they are looking for.
Problem: 20 Page artist alley pages are difficult to read through
Solution: Having all the key information on one page for users to make a decision
Understanding the key information that users need to make a decisive decision on whether they want to attend a convention or not.
Problem: Users has repetitive process of filling out forms over and over again
Solution: Easy application process without repetitive forms
I simplified the application process by separating user’s personal information and convention information into two separate areas.
Problem: Organizers are sorting through 600+ applications manually through email
Solution: A CRM that easily process over 600+ applications
Organizers receive over 600+ applications, however they only have 150 tables available. On top of that, communication with artists is done manually through email.
This not only simplifies the process, but also saves the organizer’s time.
I started my design on desktop because users feared applying for tables on their phones.
By simplifying the application process, I was also able to make it simple enough that the users feel comfortable to do this on mobile
I started the project by interviewing several artists and organizers. I created an affinity map with the information that I obtained from them
Persona: Understanding the User
After conducting several interviews, I was able to make persona’s of my 2 primary stakeholders, understanding who they are and why it gives them pain points
I created an information architecture, and then highlighted the most crucial flow for the most important features necessary to make a proper website.
I wireframed the initial user flow, which gave me further insight on how I should proceed
The overall flow
Artist’s loved how they don’t have to fill out forms about their personal information over and over again
What didn’t work
The information could be rearranged for the user
have less dialogues
Allowing the organizer to set a payment deadline
What didn’t work
The organizer prefers to look at the information in a spreadsheet format
There was the artist’s information but completely overlooked the logistic information
Too much dialogue
Upon checking my designs for accessibility, I realized that the colors were not passing the criteria. This made me go back to explore color options available and further enhanced the design for everyone.
The final result contains
Search feature that brings all the applications together
The ability to buy tables with easy to read information
Having an easy form to fill out
Allowing organizers to sort through applications
The final product:
Understanding the importance of a Spreadsheet Layout
The hardest part about this project was learning how I could sort through 600+ applications without looking like a huge mess. What I learned was that spreadsheets are an amazing way to keep track of a massive amount of information.
Thinking of Accessibility
After designing the first mock up iteration, I realized that the color choice I used was not accessible to the colorblind. This made me think more critically about my color choice, understand that accessibility is not an after thought but rather should be considered at the start of my design process.
Not only did it improve my design for those who are colorblind, it improved my design overall for everyone.
Designing for Web and Mobile
Working on KonoKona allowed me to better understand the challenges of responsive design.
Successful Usertesting VS Good Design
After doing countless usertesting, I learned that just because it was successful does not completely mean it was good. My users are tech literate but used to a tedious process. When there were certain features I was able to simplify, the “wow“ I saw on their faces was when I knew the “Aha!“ moment came.